Tuesday, January 19, 2010

17 months-Weight issues arise once more

I feel like this is a never ending battle.  My child has such a difficult time gaining weight!  Mainly because she seriously doesn't stop moving when her little eyes are open.  When I say she doesn't stop, she doesn't stop!  She is running in circles around the staircase located in middle of the house or jumping off her anywhere chair or pulling all of my plastic storage bins out of the cabinet drawer or pushing around her doll stroller.

At her last appointment, she weighed 17 lbs 6.5 oz.  The week before, we had to go in to see the doc due to a double ear infection and she weighed 17 lbs. 4.5 oz.  So she did gain 2 oz in a week, BUT the doctor is still worried because she has been stuck at 17 lbs since November. 

The doctor is also worried about her head growth.  Her head hasn't grown since November either.  The nurse measured her three times and then the doc mesured her twice.  Pedi said that is could be that she has a small head or it could be something else.  I am trying not to freak out.  I mean, both my husband and I were small kids and really, we have smaller heads so of course she isn't going to have some large melon head.  Also, she had her 18 month appointment 2 weeks after she turned 17 months.  We are missing two weeks of growth here!!

We have to go back in 6 weeks for a weight and head circumference check.

I am going to fatten this child up!  Here is what I am going to try:

-Fixing her pasta for meals twice or three times a week

-Kefir smoothies- Kefir is a cultured, enzyme-rich food filled with friendly micro-organisms that help balance your "inner ecosystem." More nutritious and therapeutic than yogurt, it supplies complete protein, essential minerals, and valuable B vitamins. Plus, 8 grams of fat per serving!


-Cream cheese filled cheerios for snacks
 
-Adding avocado to pasta sauce

- She already drinks organic whole milk- about 15-20 oz per day

- Bread and butter with meals

-French toast with double egg

If anyone has some ideas, I would love to hear them!  She is not a big meat eater and refuses eggs unless they are in other foods.

In other news, she said "bear" last night when we pointed to a bear. Awwwwwww :o)

2 comments:

The Quarke Family said...

Hi Carrie.
This is Calla. I just wanted to say, our son is pretty slow to gain weight too, so we try to give him really rich but easily digestible foods. I just wanted to point out -- pasta isn't really going to make her gain much weight! It's just kind of a normal food, you know? Good complex carbs. Maybe adding a creamy sauce would help though. We also give A a lot of cheeses (soft and hard), yoghurts, avocadoes, etc. We also add olive oil and parmesan cheese to his main meals, and he likes them fine. This is all recommended by our paediatrician ... and so far so good!

As for her head, I wouldn't worry about it, but I know one does. I guess they have to have the charts, but not everyone is going to fit into them, some of us are bigger, smaller, slimmer, etc, you know yourself! Take care and hope all goes well at the next appointment!

Wifezzilla said...

I had a hard time gaining weight as a baby, but I also had an issue with my tonsils. Anyway, mom used to make me carnation shakes to have with meals, because they are supposed to have all the nutrients a full breakfast should. so that is what i had in addition to meals. i guess i turned out fine, i was just destined to be small!

i'd speak to the doctor about it of course, but i am an advocate of adding nutrition to hr drinks. if she drinks milk, add extra protein powder to it or that baby cereal to thicken it up).

Good luck, she might just be a teeny weenie thing!